I usually tack my drawings to a bulletin board in the studio when I finish with them. The board is placed where I don’t always look at it; I have to walk to a specific place in order to view what’s hanging on it. Doing this seems to give me a fresher perspective; things (both good and not so good) tend to pop out at me.
Such was the case with the iris I (thought I had) finished awhile ago. After completing the hollyhock and peony drawings with their dramatic dark backgrounds, I saw that the iris, by comparison, was beginning to look
a bit a lot anemic in the contrast department.
Re-working isn’t always a good idea; overworking can happen really fast. But it was really bugging me. So, I decided to give it a shot.
The first image is the before, the second is the after.
I’m happier now. 😉